Local Vocal Chord Bowl #10 brings a cappella to the valley

"There’s just something about the spirit of a cappella groups"

(Photo courtesy of the Local Vocal Chord Bowl's Facebook event page)

AMHERST — The harmonies and vocal percussion commonly associated with a cappella music will fill the auditorium of Amherst Regional High School this weekend. Northampton a cappella group Green Street Brew hosts its 10th annual Local Vocal Chord Bowl.

The two-hour event will take place Saturday at 7 p.m. and feature eight a cappella acts from around the Pioneer Valley. A cappella is a style of music where performers ditch the pianos and guitars and instead rely just on their voices to make music.

To Todd Froth, director of Green Street Brew, a cappella concerts differ from other kinds of concerts. It’s not just because of the lack of instruments, but also because of the high energy and supportiveness that a cappella groups provide.

“There’s just something about the spirit of a cappella groups,” said Fruth, whose group started the Local Vocal Chord Bowl to help showcase the local talent.

The groups performing span generations and experience levels, ranging from high school students to adults. Green Street Brew will be performing along with Amherst Regional High School’s Chorale and Hurricane Singers and Northampton High School’s Northamptones.

University of Massachusetts Amherst’s Duly Noted and The Doo Wop Shop will also take part in the event. Other local groups are On That Note and Chill Harmonics.

Presale tickets are on sale now at A.J. Hastings in Amherst, Atkins Farm Market in South Amherst, Cooper’s Corner in Florence, and State Street Fruit Store in Northampton. Tickets cost $12 for adults and $8 for children and students. Tickets will also be available at the door for two dollars more.

Proceeds will be split evenly between the music programs for NHS and ARHS. Fruth, who works as the choral director for ARHS, says the money will be able to help make up for budget cuts that have been impacting the school.

The money would allow for broken instruments to be fixed, more sheet music to be purchased by the music department, and to help pay for scholarships that were given to music students to visit Washington D.C. last March.

Reach Brian at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @BrianShowket.

Comments

comments